A Summary of the Srimad Bhagavatham : Ch-4. Part-3.





4: The Stories of Siva and Sati, and of Rishabhadeva and Bharata :


Part-3.


Daksha went on shouting like this for a long time, and all the gods shut their ears because they could not bear to hear it. Siva also heard all the abuses poured upon him by Daksha, but he did not utter even one word. He just walked out of the palace and returned to his abode in Kailasa, where he lived with Sati.


One day, Sati observed celestials travelling in their aerial cars. She looked up and asked them,

“Where are you going?”


“You don’t know?” asked one of the gods, “How is it that you do not know? Your own father is performing a glorious yajna, to which he has invited all the celestials, and we are all going there.

How is it that you, his daughter, do not know?”


Sati was in great chagrin that an invitation had not been extended to Siva. She was disturbed that her father had ignored both her and Siva, but as he was her father, she told Siva, “I want to go to my father’s yajna.”


shall go with my own attendants!” said Sati.


Sati collected all her attendants and marchedLord Siva said, “It is not proper for you to go there.”


“Why?” Sati asked.


“Daksha does not like me. He has no regard for me, and therefore, you going there is not proper,” replied Siva.


But Sati said, “No, he is my father.”


“He may be your father, but he hates me, so you should not go if I am not going. I am not responsible for the consequences,” said Siva


“What consequences? I shall take care of myself,” Sati told him.


“I am telling you again, it is not good for you to go there. You will not gain anything by it, and this adventure will not end in anyone’s happiness. I advise you not to go,” warned Siva.


“No, I must go,” Sati insisted.


“I don’t think I should send my attendants to take you there. It would be highly improper of me,” said Siva.“I , under the impression that she, being the divine daughter of this great Daksha, will be highly honoured in the midst of all the gods."

Swami Krishnananda

To be continued  ...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speech by Swami Vivekananda - Delivered at the Shakespeare Club, Pasadena, California, February 1, 1900) :

All About Bharatiya Sanatana Dharmam otherwise known as Hinduism : 2.1.5

"Ratha kalpana"