HINDU FASTS & FESTIVALS : - 22-5.
22. The Kavadi- 5.
At the Sivananda Ashram in India, Skanda Sashti is observed for six days, preceding and including the Sashti day.
1. Devotees of Lord Subramanya live on milk and fruit and do rigorous Sadhana.
2. All spiritual aspirants get up at 4am during Brahmamuhurta and meditate on the Lord.
3. On each of the six days, all the participants do as many malas of the Mantra Om Saravanabhavaya Namah as possible. They even greet one another with this Mantra.
4. Yogis and learned scholars deliver lectures on Subramanya Tattwa or the divine sport of the Lord. During the evening Satsang, hymns in praise of Lord Subramanya are sung. Readings are taken from my book Lord Shanmukha and His Worship. Devotees sing inspiring songs on the Lord.
5. Every day there is elaborate ceremonial worship of the image of Lord Subramanya installed in the Bhajan Hall.
6. On the last day a grand havan (fire-worship) is conducted. The Satsang is devoted entirely to the adoration of Lord Subramanya.
Pray from the bottom of your heart : -
1. “O my Lord Subramanya, O all-merciful Lord! we have neither faith nor devotion.
2. We do not know how to worship Thee in the proper manner, or to meditate on Thee.
3. We are Thy child who have lost the way, forgotten the goal and Thy Name.
4. Is it not Thy duty, O compassionate Father, to take us back?
5. O Mother, will you not introduce me to Thy Lord?
6. Mother’s love for Her children is deeper and truer than any object in this world.
7. Though we have become worthless and undutiful children, O beloved Mother Valli, pardon us! Make us dutiful and faithful.
8. We are Thine from this very second. Always Thine. All is Thine.
9. It is the Mother’s duty to correct, educate and mould Her reckless child when it strays aimlessly on the wrong path.
10. Remove the gulf or the veil of delusion that separates us from Thee.
11. Bless us. Enlighten us.
12. Take us back to Thy Lotus Feet.
13. We have nothing more to say.
14. This is our fervent prayer to Thee and Thy Lord, our beloved and ancient Parents.”
May Lord Subramanya shower His Grace upon you!
Next : Ramnavmi
To be continued .....