All About Bharatiya Sanatana Dharmam otherwise known as Hinduism : 3.7.3.
CHAPTER- 3 : HINDU DHARMA-7.3.
7.Fundamentals Of Dharma-3.
PATANJALI MAHARSHI, the exponent of Raja Yoga philosophy, recommends that ten virtues should be practised by all men.
The first five are : -
1. Ahimsa (non-violence),
2. Satya (truthfulness),
3. Brahmacharya (celibacy in thought, word and deed),
4. Asteya (non-stealing) and
5. Aparigraha (non-covetousness).
These constitute Yama or self-restraint.
The other five virtues are : -
1. Saucha (internal and external purity),
2. Santosha (contentment),
3. Tapas (austerity),
4. Svadhyaya (study of scriptures or recitation of Mantra) and
5. Isvara-pranidhana (consecration of the fruits of all works to the Lord).
These constitute Niyama or religious observance.
To be continued...